When we think about God and His creation, we sometimes let our ideas become as wild as something from a space movie. But the Bible gives us the real story. God tells us:
- That He lives forever (Isaiah 57:15)
- That He exists from everlasting to everlasting (Psalm 93:2)
When we see God at work in the Bible we see that:
- God was there at the start (Genesis 1:1) and will be there at the end (Revelation 22:13)
And when He speaks of Himself in all three persons he says:
- God was here before everything and will last through everything (Psalm 90:2)
- The Son was here before everything and keeps everything going (Col 1:17)
- The Holy Spirit was there at the start (Genesis 1:2) and always knows what God is thinking (1 Cor 2:11)
We should not mistake what 2 Peter 3:8 says—that one day is like a thousand years to God—to mean that one ‘God day’ is actually a thousand years for us. What Peter means is that God, who knows everything, is all-wise, all-powerful, and lives forever, doesn’t keep our agenda! This is great news! It means God, who created everything, isn’t far away. He’s here with us now, will be there waiting for us at the end, and promises to be with us always.
Savior, our only joy be though, as Thou our crown shalt be; Be Thou, O Lord, our glory now, and through eternity!