When God wanted to be clearly known, He describes Himself in a relationship. These four passages stand out.
- Hebrews 1:1-2 Though God spoke in many ways…in these last days He has spoken to us by His Son
- Matt 11:27 No one knows the Father except the Son…
- John 5:20 The Father loves the Son and has given all things into His hand
- John 17:24 Father…you loved Me before the foundation of the world
God is, within Himself, in an eternal relationship of Loving Father to Given Son with the Living they they of Life between them. Careful: don’t start making lessons of God from your relationship with your dad. That’s taking your situation and creating a picture of God: The Bible called this making an idol!
Rather, know that God in all of His fullness and creativity, decided to speak like how we speak to babies who don’t understand. Sometimes you say “goo-goo-gaga” and sometimes you draw a stick drawing. God created the human relationship of Father to children so that it reflected something, not perfectly, of the greater eternal relationship in the Godhead. One where Jesus is considered “only begotten of the Father” ( John 1:14) yet uncreated (John 1:1-3).
Now , consider these three passages:
- John 20:17 I (the Son Jesus) go to my Father and your Father, my God, and your God.
- Romans 8:14-17 We cry Abba Father through the Holy Spirit
- 1 John 3:1 Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God
Be happy! Consider that in this relationship with the triune God, we know “Our Father” by the Spirit and the Son calls us brothers as Our Father calls us His children!