Some people think that because God doesn’t need anything, because he is very smart, very good, very kind, and very strong that he gets to be sovereign, or in charge. But God isn’t in charge because of those things. God is in charge because He is God! God has the right to freely do whatever He wants over what He made.
- Whatever the LORD pleases to do, he does it! (Psalm 135:6)
This absolute right belongs to all three persons of the one triune Godhead.
- Our God in the heavens does whatever he wants. (Psalm 115:3)
- The Lamb of God is lord of lords and kings of kings (Rev. 17:14 )
- The Spirit sovereignly decides the gifts for individuals (1 Cor. 12:11)
The fact that God, in all three persons, is all good, all loving, all knowing, all powerful, and all wise, just means that he is always able to perfectly act on his rights: nothing can stop him.
- God has planned it, so it will be: who can turn his hand back? No one. (Isa. 14:24–27)
- God causes all things to work together for good for those who love (Rom. 8:28)
This is fantastic news. God never loses control. God, in all three persons, is truly in charge, even when things are bad and horribly sad. If God is behind a ministry or giftedness, He is able to make that ministry fruitful in his own way! As the hymn in Christ Alone says:
No guilt in life, no fear in death: this is the power of Christ in me
From life’s first cry to final breath, Jesus commands my destiny
No power of hell, no scheme of man can ever pluck me from His hand !
Till He returns or calls me home, here in the power of Christ I’ll stand.In Christ Alone